View Single Post
Old 2009-02-20, 06:35   Link #944
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I don't even understand popularity backlash at all though. Why would how popular something is affect your personal enjoyment of the work?
From your previous post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Anyway, the problem with not judging a show by its fandom is that the fandom is the face of the show, especially on the Internet.
It's not so much that the show is popular, as much as the show is popular and the people who like the show are ubiquitous. Irritatingly so; in a large population of people trying to Share The Love, it is inevitable that many of them will attempt to over-sell the product.

And (some) MoHS fans have tried to present it as the second coming. If not that, then "the best anime ever", "second to none", and "the only anime you need to watch" (all phrases I've seen used). I don't think anything can survive such high praise.

Faced with such ebullient recommendations, it's human nature (there's that phrase again) to notice the flaws even more. I know of people who hate MoHS because of its fandom, specifically the "Haruhiists", because they say it makes a mockery of religion. They do not seem to accept my pointing out of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and Discordianism and SubGenius and all that; possibly my debating technique needs work. My own explanation for "Haruhiism" is that we are geeks and nerds, and a major trait of geeks and nerds is that we will run a joke into the ground and dance on its mangled corpse, laughing.

And then there are some people who dislike MoHS because it is popular and for no other reason, like they dislike other popular shows (and other media). I cannot explain this, because that way of thinking is alien to me.