Thread: Need Advise
View Single Post
Old 2004-06-25, 06:33   Link #3
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUIDCELL
Ok, I seriously need to free some hd space since I just reinstalled XP professional on top of existing XP professional.

The thing is I messed up some f* files that prevented me from booting on XP1, then just reinstalled XP2 and deleted XP1's c:\windows file.

The problem is the disk space has not increased as it should have since most of my desktop files (which held more than 30 gig) from the former OS no longer exist. HELP? does it make any sense at all?

---------------------------------------
I also need advise on buying external HD.... I know it's much expensive than internal ones, but I cant help it. It's for my laptop.

Thanks ...... greatly appreciate it!!!!

~Kirsten
I don't know why you didn't just reformat your HDD from the beginning. Backup all important data and reformat the drive. The result is a clean Windows installation with 100% working programs and a lot of free space.
Things to do after the new installation:
0. Get XPAntiSpy
1. Get a firewall + antivirus program and update them at once. Optional: Get an AntiTrojan software like TrojanHunter
2. Deploy Windows Service Pack 1a
3. Install all critical updates for Windows
4. Make an Image of your drive and burn it to a CD

The programs can be found via google

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUIDCELL
The problem is the disk space has not increased as it should have since most of my desktop files (which held more than 30 gig) from the former OS no longer exist. HELP? does it make any sense at all?
The desktop files are not stored in the C:/Windows/ folder. That's why you haven't deleted them yet. They can be found in (Note that the names might be a little off, because I'm not using an English Win Xp): C:/Documents and Settings/<User name>/Desktop and My Files
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote