View Single Post
Old 2009-07-14, 03:04   Link #91
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
Although I love the Gundam series but I haven't been watching mecha animes for quite some time. As that most mecha animes are focused on the issues of politics, terrorism, and war. There isn't one that has nothing to do with it. This is especially true with the Gundam series.

Of course, for the young audiences. They would most likely don't understand any of it and instead are totally amazed at the unique designs of mechas and also the intense and fierce battles between machines. However, for the ones who know what they are watching, the featured issues are actually rather interesting and also complicated. In most cases, it questions the general view of the global issues and offers its own version of a perspective. The creators of the mecha series obviously had done tons of hours of studying and research on the issues of war and terrorism to the point that they know it so well that it is obvious the creators know exactly what they are talking about. And accompanied by the various unique types of mecha designs, as well as character designs, animation, and cast of seiyuu. Its awesome!
If by 'most', you're applying to the entire mecha genre and not just Real Robots, then you're wrong.

There are more mecha anime that deals with less politics, terrorism or war. In fact not all Real Robots deal with the 3 subjects as well. Conflict between humans is more for Real Robots, Super Robots mostly put humans against a greater threat than humanity itself, you don't do much politics with them.

In fact until Tomino created Gundam, there are not too many mecha animes that deals with politics, terrorism or war, because most of these mecha anime are indeed for kids.

Politics, terrorism and war could be a focal point for a number of Real Robots, but Super Robots almost always deals with the human spirit and how far it can be stretched. Super Robots are about humans doing impossible things with the power of sheer will.

People tend to look at Gundam for mecha, but to hardcore mecha fans, Gundam only represents the Real Robot genre. Most people don't know what Super Robots are about because to them mecha = Gundam and everything else that's different from Gundam is hard to accept.

There's also a recent group who thinks they've seen the best mecha anime ever, in the form of Gurren Lagann. Gurren Lagann is just another one of the great Super Robot animes in history, in fact Gurren Lagann's Spiral Energy is almost a direct copy of Getter Robo's Getter Rays and the Getter Robo series had always maintained its great epicness for more than 2 decades.

While Real Robots always had 'mature' topics like politics, terrorism and war, they do not go too deep into it and while being 'real', its unrealistic most of the time. In fact at times you have to suspend your belief more than you have to do for Super Robots. Realism is not for the mecha genre, mecha is about stretching the boundaries of humanity.

Also when mecha fans who watch both Real and Super Robots rank their best animes, the best would often be Super Robots. People should give Super Robots a try and not just stick with Gundam because its the only thing you've heard before.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote