View Single Post
Old 2006-10-27, 21:12   Link #573
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shilar View Post
They don't work cause the MKV containers change formats more often then I change shirts.
Excuse me but WTF are you talking about?

Quote:
've tried the "geek" solutions (which a lot of the programs just plain crash)
YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG

Quote:
and tried the one-clicks (support the original MKV, not the off-shoots that each fansub group is making
Original MKV? Off-shoots? What?

Quote:
nor embedding Aegis subs). Even tried hard-subbing the Aegis file (same result as the "geek" solutions). MP4? No problem, easily do it, even in QuickTime!
The sense is unmaking

Quote:
The reason behind this is simple: Most fansub anime cons (AnimeFest is a good example) rely on a simple premise that if they can make a DVD or Divx/Xvid out of the files they get, they show them. One thing I've not seen there is anything put in MKV, thereby never gets shown to anyone. That leaves a smaller group that "mistakes" upon it.
I can't speak for any other cons, but on the few occasions that we've used fansubs straight off (as opposed to R2 DVD's with fansub subtitles) on UppCon (Sweden's largest anime convention; 1700 visitors last time around - I'm responsible for the anime screening section), we've used MKV more than once, without problems.

Quote:
Basically, why support a container that has a hard time being converted by all but the ones who love the "high quality?" (As I said, Divx/Xvid is really good if you do it right).
And I guess this finally proves that you have NO CLUES WHATSOEVER when it comes to MKV. DivX and Xvid are CODECS, not containers, and both can be (and frequently are) contained in MKV.
Also, transcoding stuff from MKV is really freaking simple for people with more than two braincells and the ability to follow written instructions. Use mkvextract to get any softsubs, then use directshowsource with convertfps=true, and BAM! Instant hardsubbed AVI, or whatever you want.

Quote:
I just ask that people be wary of MKV, lest they solidify a format around the container.
I just ask that people be wary of YOU, lest they start to believe your nonsense.

Quote:
And in turn that can just hurt the encoder's goal: getting an anime company to take the anime into a license.
I can't speak for anyone else, but that's definitely not my goal. Quite the opposite, actually, and why the heck should I care about US licenses anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
you might be able to also use DirectShowSource with a convertfps=true and fps=120 and do the same thing, but it's less accurate, in my opinion, and might introduce some extra blended frames.
That should not be possible; AFAIK DSS() with convertfps only duplicates or removes frames, it never blends. Also, (I assume you already know this but just was a bit sloppy with the rounding in the post) it's 119.88 fps, not 120.00.
But if you're going CFR anyway, why bother about a few extra blended frames? It's not like it will look perfect anyway...
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote