Thread: Licensed Sankarea (TV)
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-16, 15:58   Link #275
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
That's what makes it extra terrible! From what I've watched, the content has no cynicism. Everything is played straight. Yet people become hypocrites and go sexualize characters you're supposed to feel sympathy for because well "herp.derp.SHE'S HOT".

As you said Sankarea is supposed to be about zombies and it probably will be, but what the anime is presenting so far is much more broader than that. I know it isn't about child abuse and sexualization but those two things are inserted into Rea character development and saying its not an integral part of the series would mean Rea isn't important.
So Rea should be ugly? I'm a bit confused as to what you're getting at. If you're pointing out that people can be sexually attracted to people who have serious problems....well, yeah. Humans are weird like that. It doesn't mean people aren't or can't be sympathetic at the same time, but there is also the element of fiction at play here that lets people rationalize more than they might if it were real life people in these situations (hopefully minus the zombies).

Rea's father isn't sexually abusing her, but he is abusing her in the sense of holding her up on an unrealistic pedestal. He's a parent who loves his child so much that it is incomprehensible for her to be a failure, and this is reflected in himself as well. He's rich, famous, in shape, married to a beautiful woman, etc. He wants all of that and more for her, and in a sense supplants the life she wants to have with the life he thinks is best for her. That's why she feels so stifled to begin with, resorting to screaming into a well at night to vent her feelings. Who would believe a girl like her could have problems? Many of us have a hard time sympathizing with someone of her social status because that status blinds us to the person living it. Rich people are notorious for being unhappy.