View Single Post
Old 2008-09-02, 13:48   Link #344
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioIzzy View Post
Just wondering. Does volunteer help for the future for post-secondary?
Yes.

It's kind of annoying actually, I saw people who do volunteer and I see them doing for college resume rather than the joy of the thing, and it's kinda...cheap?

A college resume is all about catching attention. A perfect grade and a good SAT/ACT score helps in preventing you from being dropped off the list of potential candidates, but if it's a competitive college we're talking about, an awesome essay or an impeccable (and in my envious, proletarian opinion, shiny "like an expensive car") list of extracurricular activities will catch their attention.

I think I got myself accepted to several colleges because my essays were awesome (read: insane, unorthodox; they probably thought I was "interesting" after reading a bunch of generic essays rather than any judgment more substantial and qualitative) but in the end I chose to go to the local college because of financial and other reasons.

However!

That's not the end of the (material, *sigh*) value of these volunteer works and extracurricular activities. Getting accepted into college is one thing, getting scholarships to pay from it is another. And here, the larger and more shiny your list of volunteer activities are, the more opportunities will be open for you. I can't remember how many times I've read through a scholarship offer and its biggest most noticeable qualification is you doing something outside of normal school, "leadership" is probably the word most often used (and I still to this day can't figure out what the hell that was supposed to mean). That is where I went wrong -- aside from my l33t essay writing skillz () I have no such thing to offer and I couldn't afford to go where I wanted in the end.

Don't make my mistake. Get involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan
P.S. I plan on becoming an Computer Technician any tips would be welcome
Don't take it as expert advice, but just about every college worth a dime has this thing called the Computer Science major. Most aspiring computer technicians of any kind probably start there if they pursue the college route rather than going out tumbling through the world like the next Bill Gates.

Prepare for a lot of math, though.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote