View Single Post
Old 2011-12-26, 04:44   Link #94
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Quote:
Now this is why I can't say she becomes more "likeable" or not, since it's really how much the reader is willing to look into her character with an open mind (not just about seeing past her exterior and not be prejudiced with "first impressions", but also to view her character as a whole, not just on her treatment of Sena or Maria).
There are two types of readers: The first group who spends most of the time to micro-analyze every little detail of a character and love to dig into meta-analyses or psychology and can write wall of texts about it. And the second group of reader who rate the character based on his/her action and reaction, which is normally visible during the episode. That means without putting too much thoughts into everything and simply let the episode effect them as it runs. So logically when it comes to this kind of discussions, the two groups will clash, followed by endless dialogues like "I don't like her because she did A, B, C" and the psychologist response like "Wrong! If you look deeper into this, you can see the subtle hint/forshadowing of X, Y, Z and based on *insert meta-analysis* it was clearly not so" People like me watched most of the show simply for entertainment and without the urge to dwell into deeper reasons of character's action and if Yozora was mean/over-the-top or whatever I don't have to like it regardless of a deeply hidden reason. On the other side, if she was cute, adorable or otherwise "likeable" I give credits to those parts as well. To put it very simple: I bash or praise what I can see is happening and not what can be speculated or analyzed. You need the affinity for it in order to actually locate and even recognize the meta-aspects as an meta-aspect.