View Single Post
Old 2011-08-11, 07:41   Link #5337
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/zealand-school...080229621.html

I think the skeleton in my high school was actually real too. My teacher said he was probably from India. Kinda morbid...and a bit sad. I'm all for people donating their bodies for science after the deaths, but only by their decision. A century ago in dirt-poor India or China, you didn't always have the assurance of visiting your dead relatives in the cemetery or keeping their ashes.
There was a similar case here in the UK not too long ago. I don't remember exactly where it was but everything about the skeleton was known, even who it belonged to, how the man died and when. It actually belonged to a criminal who'd been hanged back in the 18th century(?), and the family had been petitioning to have the "body" buried for a long while, when it had been used for a number of anatomy lessons.

I personally find it very disturbing and disgusting to be using live skeletons for classes. Granted, it's useful to carry out experiments on human bodies, and it has been done for centuries. We wouldn't know anything about the human body otherwise, but it's not right to be using something like this in a learning environment. It's akin to desecrating the dead and bears no respect for the person he/she used to be.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote