Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-05-18, 02:27   Link #7235
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Then again, you don't just read from a single news agency right? It is my personal belief that any news-publisher will serve whoever pays them : it is a matter of survival, be it the state or the corporation.
Indeed. It pays to learn about an event from as many perspectives as possible. This is so even if you are there in person to observe the event at first hand, because personal bias may, for all you know, colour the way you observe the event unfold.

As for the news publishers putting out whatever brings in money, to a certain extent, yes, that's true. It's not a charity operation after all. The business has to bring in money otherwise the it flops, plain and simple. But that's also an oversimplification of how different journalists seek to uphold professional standards of telling a story as truthfully and as objectively as possible.

Let's just say the onus is not just on the reporter to tell the story, but also on the reader to cherry pick from as many sources as possible to get to the "whole truth".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Alternatively, since the conflict is in Asia, I would suggest that you look for something closer to the region. Like Today from Singapore (it's free ), but it can be too comprehensive at times. The other one which I think is okay is Bloomberg.
A large part of Today's content is aggregated from various news wires. So, it's no better or worse than all the other English-language news publishers in Singapore, which broadly do the same thing.

As for Bloomberg, I'm iffy about its quality of reporting. But that's a subjective bias on my part. I'd sooner rely on the Financial Times or The Economist for financial/economic news and analysis. As for news wires, Reuters tends to appear to be the most reliable, compared to AP or AFP.

I'm curious to know, though, is the New York Times still considered a "newspaper of record" in the United States? From what I understand, The Times of London used to hold that status among British readers, but has since lost that prestige thanks to its takeover by (who else?) News Corp.