Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Nagi no Asukara (Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea)
View Single Post
Old 2015-04-28, 18:31   Link #3638
Dark Paladin X

Dub cast announced along with clips

Max Mittelman as Hikari Sakishima
Michelle Ruff as Manaka Mukaido
Bryce Papenbrook as Kaname Isaki
Brianna Knickerbocker as Chisaki Hiradaira
Chris Hackney as Tsumugu Kihara
Xanthe Huynh as Miuna Shiodome
Sarah Anne Williams as Sayu Hisanuma

A quick rundown for each of the voice actor (and linking their names to the respective BTVA page or ANN page)

Max Mittelman have recently established himself roughly about a year ago, but was mostly working on western animation and video game voice work prior to entering anime. He has worked on Transformers: Rescue Bots (Blurr) and Ultimate Spider-Man (Rhino), along with a few video games such as Sunset Overdrive. However, last year, he made his debut into anime voice acting as Sewashi (Soby) from Doraemon, and made further recognition with his role as Haruto Kurosawa from Coppelion. If you ask me, his vocal range is somewhat of a mix between Sam Riegel and Ben Diskin.

If you aren't familiar with Michelle Ruff, then you are missing out a lot. She's a veteran voice actress since 2000 and she's well known for her roles as Sinon from Sword Art Online, Rukia from Bleach, Yuki Nagato from Haruhi Suzumiya, Anri Sonohara from Durarara, Fujiko Mine from Lupin III. Yoko Litner from Guren Lagann, and recently Luna from Sailor Moon. She also does a lot of video game voice work (mostly in niche jRPGs) such as Etna from the Disgaea series, Crimson Viper from Street Fighter series, Cream the Rabbit from the Sonic games, Carl Clover from Blazblue, and Yukari Takeba from Persona 4. And for the record, yes, she actually did some characters that are higher pitched and soft spoken before, but her vocal range is pretty versatile.

Bryce Papenbrook is known to voice many characters in anime and video games. More specifically, Masaomi Kida from Durarara, Kirito from Sword Art Online, Eren Yeager from Attack on Titan (his first Funimation role), Rin Okumura from Blue Exorcist, Makoto Naegi from Danganronpa, Henry from Fire Emblem Awakening, Zidane from Dissidia Final Fantasy, and Nagito Komaeda from Danganronpa II. And despite being well-known since 2011, he's actually a veteran voice actor who has done many voice acting projects since he was eight years old (put this into perspective, he's 29 years old). He's considered to be the "successor" to Yuri Lowenthal due to the similar typecast and vocal ranges. Mind you that he's a little polarizing ever since his role as Eren Yeager since he's been landing into many lead protagonist roles (especially characters that are prone to snap easily, which the casting here is surprising since I was expecting Bryce to voice Hikari instead).

Brianna Knickerbocker is a relatively new voice actress. She recently made her name this year with roles such as Itsuki Inubozaki from Yuki Yuna is a Hero and Akane Awakusu from Durarara x2.

Chris Hackney is also a newer voice actor. I cannot find his ANN or BTVA page, so I'm going to link to his Twitter account instead.

Sarah Williams had established her name since 2011. Some of her best roles include Jinx from League of Legends, Uni from the Hyperdimension Neptunia series, Sayaka Miki from Madoka Magica, Yuniko Kozuki from Accel World, Nonon Jakuzure from Kill la Kill, Lisbeth from Sword Art Online, and Peacock from Skullgirls.

Xanthe Huynh has been around in voice acting for a while, but some of her best roles included Ui Hirasawa from K-ON!, Yuki Yuna from Yuki Yuna is a Hero, Nagisa Momoe from
Puella Magi Madoka Magica The Movie -Rebellion-, and Fuyumi Yanagi from Blood Lad.

And if you want my opinion on the dub, I would say that dub is solid, but one of my biggest criticisms is some of the characters sound a little bit too old (especially Tsumugu). However, I think my ears will adjust easily if I were to watch this dub in the later episodes (particularly in the case with Clannad dub). The only character I think that sound about right is Michelle Ruff's Manaka (which she manage to get her pitch right, In addition, her voice acting makes Manaka sound like she's about to cry since Manaka is known to cry a lot). That being said, keep in mind that this dub is most likely done by Bang Zoom! Entertainment. If anyone is highly familiar with Bang Zoom!, they are known to use newer name voice actors and cast them in lead roles. With the exception of Xanthe Huynh, Sarah Williams, Bryce Papenbrook, and Michelle Ruff, most of the voice actors in this dub are relatively new, so you guys should tone down some of the criticisms a bit.
Anime junkie, video gamer, English dub fan, loli lover, and a Tv Tropes sumo. Trope pages created by me: Black Bullet, Erica Mendez, Christine Marie Cabanos, Bang Zoom Entertainment, Clint Bickham, David Wald, Studiopolis, Corey Hartzog, NYAV Post, Max Mittelman, Brianna Knickerbocker, Scott Gibbs, Faye Mata.
Dark Paladin X is offline   Reply With Quote