View Single Post
Old 2011-10-08, 00:45   Link #100
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I feel both anger and pity for anime critics.

They are just watching anime series either: (a) to excessively hype a series he likes or (b) to blatantly insult a series that doesn't fulfill his taste for anime. Of course, their statements are opinionated, but what stands them apart from a typical anime fan that says "I don't like <insert anime series title here>" is his tendency to acquire a following, which many inexperienced fans would treat as Word of God.

On the other hand, I feel bad about the job of an anime critic, because he has his enjoyment of being an anime fan taken from him, and — especially for famous anime critics — when you become a critic, it's hard to go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Ego from Ratatouille
In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so.
That said, I don't think I can call myself an anime critic. In fact, I'm far from being one. I have been experienced in viewing anime series in a neutral viewpoint as a contributor in several wikis for a few anime series. And currently, I can say that I still enjoy watching anime as I enjoy sharing what I know from them.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote