View Single Post
Old 2013-02-11, 23:18   Link #19
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
So you cited an interview with some hack saying he wrote the first two episodes to establish a gritty alien war setting, when the entire rest of the show has nothing to do with the gritty alien war setting and even actively goes against the basic we're-running-out-of-dudes-because-everyone-is-constantly-getting-killed ideas illustrated in that setting.

okay.

Your movie comparisons don't even make sense. Top Gun opens with a bunch of hotshots on a base goofing around and dogfighting with one moment of relative seriousness (Cougar's mental breakdown). You know what the rest of that movie is? A 90 minute extension of more hotshots on a base goofing around and dogfighting with one moment of relative seriousness (Goose's death). Saving Private Ryan opens with Tom Hanks getting plopped down in a shithole, and the entire rest of the plot after that revolves around getting him out of the aforementioned shithole.

In both of those cases, Point B is a logical continuation of Point A. In Total Eclipse's case, episode 3 is NOT a continuation of episode 2.

Now, Top Gun hypothetically could have opened with a full-blown brutal flashback showing the backstory of Maverick's dad as an F-4 pilot, where he stays behind in a hopeless situation so the rest of his squadron could retreat in Vietnam. The reason it doesn't do that is because it would have been ridiculously out of place in hindsight (hi first two episodes of Total Eclipse) and Tony Scott knew he wasn't trying to tell a hard hitting story about the sacrifices of war (hi whoever thought the first two episodes of Total Eclipse were a good idea).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
And it amuses me that you're railing on the anime and production team for what you perceive as faults, but don't extend to them the same pass you expect with your own writing. I believe there's a saying about logs in one's eye and dust in another's.
You know what separates something that's supposed to be professionally made for profit and aims to accurately depict the essence of Muv-Luv to potential new fans from the mindless shock value schlock I write? At least I know what the hell I'm writing and make an effort to stay within my own little demented genre. Do I even have to bring up the time I wrote about Tsugumi getting brainjacked with invasive cyberpunk technology that doesn't even exist in official canon so she would hand Inori over to Gai and kill the entire main cast of Guilty Crown? goddamn.

Last edited by Hagoshod; 2013-02-11 at 23:58.