View Single Post
Old 2010-08-31, 23:48   Link #1072
chounokoe

Send a message via MSN to chounokoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehChron View Post
Yes, poor George.

Battler, on the other hand, rather than assume the fetal position at the first turbulent moment of his life, went the ultimate rebel route and told his father where to shove it when Rudolf married Kyrie practically before Asumu was put into the ground.

Screw being rich(?)!
Well, I don't know if I wouldn't actually call Battler's act hotheaded and stupid instead of courageous. He did not consider it one moment how Rudolph felt about the whole situation, maybe he loved Kyrie all along, but the family (Kinzo) favoured Asumu and he just had to marry her.
Of course you can't expect a teenager to think about their parents feelings instead of their own, especially if one of them died, but even here there are two sides to that discussion. Battler also assumed a form of 'fetal position' because he just ran out on his family instead of actually trying to communicate with his father. He is as uncommunicative and ignorant than any other member of the family, just his approach is different. For several years he favoured to completely bail on his family and people who seemed to care about him, because he was too stubborn to accept that his mother died.

I would never say that George is better, but everybody on the island made mistakes and Battler is no blazing example of goodness either.

Quote:
And George didnt just seize an opportunity, he apparently made it as well, taking advantage of Battler's absence to woo the maid that had ignored him and his "greatness" when they were younger.

Every murderer thinks they're justified. Doesnt make the ones with such ridiculously flimsy justifications any less of a sociopath, though.
Flimsy justification is always a question of perspective, but that is obviously something that regards personal moral values as well. If you believe in a universal moral that upholds society and forbids us to kill, of course, then they are immoral. In fact of course they are immoral, but morality has nothing to do with being able to understand someone who is desperate.

I think what murder mysteries can show us, among other things, is that there is more to murder than just a question of good and evil. If you just search for the 'evil mastermind' who murdered the innocent victims, then you will often end of with the wrong solution.
Sociopath is a word that many seem to have grown to throw easily around if it comes to murder, but I think it's just a quick way to brush such things off as something that could just never happen to them.