View Single Post
Old 2014-02-03, 23:07   Link #600
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Each person is different. I too have siblings, but I don't treat the sibling relationships in most anime as realistic, and I have no problem with this dichotomy. I buy into it because I understand the construct they're trying to establish for the fictional relationship (the internal rules of the fictional universe), and the emotions and actions presented by the characters are plausible and believable within that construct.
"The emotions and actions by the characters are plausible and believable within that construct".

But what constitutes the construct?

"The internal rules of the fictional universe".

And what determines the internal rules of the fictional universe? The characters do, if there's nothing about the setting itself that clearly and unambiguously separates it from the real world.

So the characters decide what's plausible and believable for themselves? Well, I suppose so, and that's fine in the latter stages of a story once characterization has been well-developed, but early on, characters acting in ways that seem highly unrealistic to viewers can be problematic.

So sure, if viewers get over those initial hurdles (like you and Tempester clearly have), then it can get easier with time. But a lot of viewers never will get over those initial hurdles, and their own real life experiences (including their own real life relationships) can be a big part of the reason why.

So I think a viewer having siblings themselves will probably make it harder for them to roll with certain anime tropes and character types. There may be some exceptions, but I think there's some truth to it as well.

Quote:
But does it have anything to do with the relationship I have with my siblings in real life? Very little to none. And this doesn't really bother me at all.
What fictional relationships do you think speak to people the most: Ones they can relate to, or ones they can't relate to?