Thread: Windows 8
View Single Post
Old 2012-12-10, 08:47   Link #485
XxSleepyxX
Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
On the contrary, Microsoft would love to keep everything the same if they could.

The strategy taken with Windows 8 is one of desperation. In the consumer space (not Microsoft's traditional focus, but strategists always say that brand loyalty starts with consumer products. A kid begins with an iPod, followed by an iPhone. In university, he buys a MacBook or iPad, and years later, he becomes a manager who insists on everything Apple), market trends predict a long-term decline in laptop/desktop PC sales, whereas mobile devices have seen fast adoption over the past 2-3 years. Some pundits also predict that for employees who don't need heavy computing power, enterprises may replace desktop PCs with cheaper tablets. Considering Microsoft's inability to gain ground in the mobile segment, there's real fear that they might lose the market dominance they've enjoyed for so long - should those trends prevail.

The proposed solution? Get desktop users accustomed to a MS-flavoured mobile UI, so they'll choose Windows the next and presumably first time they buy a tablet.

We're seeing the same panic from Intel, who are unable to keep up with ARM when it comes to power efficiency (a problem inherent to the x86 architecture, which is geared toward high performance at the expense of efficiency). Intel is a giant among giants right now, but there's some fear that their world may come crashing down if tablets become dominant computing devices.
The new win OS is suppose to help "newbies" get accustomed to using a computer which I personally have problems since I see 3 year use smartphones and computers better than they're parents. In all honestly I would of stuck with the 64bit version of XP, but it felt it was sorta of buggy so I went with Win 7. Unless microsoft makes some software breakthrough that causes certain applications to not work with win 7 I might change my mind.

Microsoft can't win over Apple's fanboys. Most people buy Macbook for looks. I mean half those people who own a Mac don't even know how to use it properly. I mean who'd seriously buy a machine where you need to completely replace it if the harddrive breaks down? Their using industrial-strength superglue to glue the harddrive onto the motherboard. Glue and electronics.... thats like something Dell would do and people would flame them for it. But if apple does it its cool. I use a iTouch cause its convenient and it has games to distract me, while also doubling as a music player. My cell phone on the other hand is so old that I can't even find it online.

Tablets won't replace computers. They lack the computing power. No matter how high-tech it'll get it won't replace computers. It might be useful for schools or work places but when it comes down to it we'll always have computers. Why? Its simple. It runs on a battery so it'll always having a time limit on how long you can use. Whens the last time you heard of a tablet with a graphics card? A tablet is a simplified version of a laptop. The people I know who use tablets use it to read epubs or pdfs.

If your buying a processor you'll either buy it form intel or amd. The best processor from AMD is the worst processor from intel. Thats speaking volumes. Intel isn't worried at all they have a monopoly on processors and their only competitor is only AMD who isn't even close. And people complain that a i7 is slow when its practically overkill.

Microsoft can try, but a lot of people prefer the old version of windows. Awhile back I saw a chart with data with what os people used. A lot of people like roughly 44% where still using XP. What does that honestly say? It says that microsoft is trying too hard. Instead of getting customers their only deterring them. I've always hated macs because A) I couldn't right click. B) I need to eject everything and C)Finding a specific program to work with a mac in a pain in the ass. The only edge i ever saw Macs having over a PC was the fact that the write speed was so fast. Now that we have SSDs that problem is solved.