View Single Post
Old 2014-01-31, 21:43   Link #58
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I apologize ahead for being blunt here, but wanting to be SCP for the sake of being SCP is a very silly stance to take. No one dreams of being the SCP for the position's own sake - they want the position either to fulfill some agenda/objective, or for a likely self-serving reason.
That's actually what I mentioned by developing a bit the reasons why she tried to have such position.
So I don't see the point of your comment: it isn't like she genuinely wanted to have that position for the students sake.

That being said, not all SCP (be it in fiction or reality) are bound to have an agenda for that.

Quote:
Now, if your point was that Nibutani did not deserve the position, because her intentions were rather opportunistic and self-serving, that's another matter though. But I don't think that Nibutani was aiming for the SCP just to try it out. That's.... really illogical for someone who wants to climb to the top of the Social Hierarchy.

You need to clarify what you mean by sincerity exactly, since no-one outright dreams of the SCP, without some other underlying reason for that dream.

And even if you were right, it just means that Kyoani squandered an amazing opportunity for taking Nibutani's character in a very unique and interesting direction.

Again, we don't have an insight into Shinka's head, but she might well have been looking at the SCP position ever since her first year- and we'd never know it, since this is the first episode we got into Nibutani's head. What other prize was she working towards then?
You really missed the point I made there.
I never stated she wanted to try that for the hell of it. What I defined here is that her attempt to be the SCP is yet another attempt for her to erase her chuuni past, by reaching a reputable position (never saying she isn't cut for the job).
That's all there is to it, so blaming Sanae for "destroying Shinka's dream" despite it is really not the case (for the reasons already mentioned above), I find it quite extreme.
Sanae definitely thwarted Shinka's efforts to be freed from her frustration due to her chuuni past, but it isn't like her lifetime dream was smashed to pieces.

It isn't a matter of "deserving the position" or not. I'm however not agreeing on "how serious" it is.
The series does have a tone shift when things are really serious, yet it didn't occur in this episode. So I would take it as "serious" as it is for the other gag scenes between the two. Past that, gotta agree to disagree.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2014-01-31 at 22:33.