View Single Post
Old 2012-10-29, 11:58   Link #91
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Interesting. How would you say episode 17 contributed to Yuuya's evolution? I hope I didn't put you in the spot.
I wouldn't say it contributed to Yuuya specifically, because again, as AMT said, it was more of a cast episode. What we see is the results of Yuuya's evolution so far, which contrasts how he was when he came to Yukon: he was a selfish, self-absorbed cocky jerkass with a chip on his shoulder; in the last few months he's grown up, and is able to put his pride aside and concentrate on the job. It's most explicit with him and Yui: in the earlier episodes he was an ass to her and she was a bitch to him; now they can talk to each other as human beings, and they're actually being tsundere to each other without the usual tsundere violence.

And no, I don't mind being put on the spot - I studied law and dreamt of being a trial lawyer. Getting put on the spot woulda been a regular occurrence. And since I work in customer service, that's also a regular occurrence for me.

Anyway, to get back to my main point, what we see here is not further development of Yuuya, but instead we see the ripple effects this development has on the people around him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor Mobius Toth View Post
Though those MPs aren't doing it right - your first run into the bar, load your guns so that everyone can hear you; because the sound of automatic rifles being cocked gets everyone's attention, drunken or not.
Or, when assault rifles are not present, shotguns, because as that unnamed UNSC Marine said, "I believe that the sound of racking the pump of a shotgun is universally recognized as "kiss your ass goodbye"."

...dafuq, you changed your avatar to Yifei. While I can't say I disapprove, I almost didn't recognise you, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I'm in agreement with your views more or less. Rather than Yuuya, I think it's Yui and Cryska who are benefiting much more as characters from this story. Yui was a mess since her traumatic encounter with the Beta. She was truly lost at how to further the agenda of winning against the relentless and ruthless Beta. Cryska is also interesting in her own way. The question of "who am I" might be a literal one when it comes to her considering she may very well be a product of bioengineering. Compared to them and what they have gone through, Yuuya's inferiority complex based on his own identity crisis is so silly. My impression of him in general is that he is a mean to further the unraveling for the likes of Yui and Cryska and even Inia to a certain degree. Yuuya, on the other hand, is a pretty one dimensional and have not yet seen any meaningful character development.
...yes and no; with Yuuya, while he has an inferiority complex based on his identity crisis, and while in the grand scheme of things it is not as critical/important/significant as Yui or Cryska's issues, it's like saying that bleeding out from your wrists isn't as bad as bleeding out from the jugular vein, or getting your arm blown off by a .50 BMG round. His issues will continue to affect and color everything he sees. He reacts towards others based on the hurts of his childhood, which are festering wounds that haven't been treated.

Speaking from personal experience, these things take time to work through. Comparing how Yuuya was so determinedly anti-Japanese at the start of the show, and compared to how he is now, he has shown remarkable improvement. I view him more as a catalyst for triggering change in others. It's sorta a ripple effect: Yuuya begins to deal with the shit in his past; as he does so, the ripple effects of dealing with that shit affect the two girls he's with the most, which triggers their development. But that's really just my take on this.

Yuuya is the snowflake that starts the avalanche, if you will.

I believe in miracles.