View Single Post
Old 2016-12-27, 04:42   Link #179
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
You're being disingenuous, because a character mentioning key information for the viewer is not the same as 'them talking about the ins and outs of every MS.'

Maybe I used the wrong wordings using "ins and outs" but it basically boils down to them talking about mechanical details, which I already touched on before. Ioks machine providing him the ability to place accurate long range shots is not key info that need to be talked about specifically in detail because it doesn't matter to the plot at all. In the end hes a pilot whos able to land long range shots (with or without his machine, it doesnt matter), and the show went slightly out of its way to remark on in the quote from the Dawn pilot you keep using

We get no suggestions that the Dawn Horizon Corps, who are more than able to give Tekkadan a run for their money even with Tekkadan fielding two Gundams, are somehow unexperienced with long range combat.

I never stated it was a fact, its a thing to CONSIDER, MAYBE, WHAT IF. Its called speculation and given all the MS/factions we have seen in the show so far? Probable cuz most MS are armed with machine guns and standard rifles. The only long ranged weapons we have seen are the smooth bore guns Tekkadan uses (the long rifle the Barbatos first used, then later the Gusion) then Ioks Leginraze's rifle.

And also might I remind you on that middle part that a bunch of their grunt units all got long range shotted by the Barbatos using only machine guns at the start of the fight to their surprise? Not much to go on but most factions in this series with any combat experience only seem to be used to the "norms" of MS combat and potential ranges

This is the key problem with both that argument and the 'well, maybe his suit just gives him super-accuracy!' argument: They're not actually arguments, they're fanfiction -- I've given you canonical evidence, and what you've given me in return is just speculation.

You can substitute them with anything. Maybe Iok is actually a X-Man with the power of super-sniping, who was sent through an interdimensional portal at birth. Maybe Iok isn't hitting anything at all, but an invisible suit behind him is making shots at the same time he is.

Not sure which part you are commenting on here, see why I put my replies in the quotes when theres tons of paragraphs and lines?

Stop backpedaling. It puts a sour taste in my mouth.

Backpedaling? Man you are definitely taking this way too seriously, relax man, I dont know how you are reading my comments but Im typing them while lazily relaxing and listening to music, its anything but hostile

Ah, yes, of course Isurugi wouldn't know what the suit's abilities are. Because that's how military organisations work -- they don't actually tell their senior officers what the new equipment they're going to get does, they just tell them it's on their way and then it's a delightful surprise when they get it. Isurugi would definitely be totally in the dark about key features of hardware he and his troops are eventually going to get. Naturally.

In general that information would primarily go to the mechanics/pilots, and thats who it concerns most. But lets say Isurugi did get the memo with the machine specs/blueprints/data/whatever, well he got the standard Leginraze info, not anything on a customized one as that would obviously depend on the pilot, which is the case with Ioks one

In the end though Isurugi and his take doesn't matter much, at the end of the day he failed to mention a new suit which he never expected, because the Arianhod fleet also appeared against any expectations. Him telling Tekkadan about it would have been mott as the original plan was just him and his reinforcements. For all we know too that info on the Leginrazes are classified

As for 'its specs say it has long-range weapons!' -- no shit, we've been talking about Iok sniping things, of course it has long-range weapons. His suit having long-range weapons and being customised as a long-range unit isn't news, but unless you have a source that says 'long-range Reginlazes enhance their pilots' accuracy' it doesn't mean anything.

"If you took Iok out of a suit with a sniper rifle and stuck him in a suit with a normal rifle, his sniping would take a hit!" Well, that is why sniper rifles exist. Because they're better at sniping than normal rifles. On a similar note, if you took Iok out of a mobile suit and put him in a cardboard box, he'd be far less efficient at fighting in space.

First off, I made a mistake in my post, meant to say a standard graze with an equivalent/same long range weapon, my bad, you can ignore that piece of idiocy

Really now? We have a suit thats officially stated to be a long range sniping/support type configuration with the appropriate weapon and you deny that it enhances their accuracy? BS, a weapon tuned to a specific purpose will always yield better results in their field than a generic weapon so long as its in decent hands.

The real question here is ACCURACY, because in Gundam shows aiming is handled by both a pilot and an aiming system built into the machine, and sometimes the firearm itself. So is Iok controlling the suit skillfully enough to land accurate shots? Or does he have some sort BS aiming hax system like the Freedom which allows him to land ridiculously accurate shots at long ranges? Neither of which can be proved unless we seem him landing equally accurate/long shots in another machine (doesnt have to be as good since he downgrading machines, but if he is seen landing more farther/accurate shots in a standard configuration, its more likely the former is true and hes more skilled than average in the marksmanship department)

These aren't arguments for anything, they're just truisms. Like, yeah, if snipers aren't using sniper rifles, they tend not to be great snipers. Lyudmila Pavlichenko was famously less adept at hitting her enemies with paper airplanes than a sniper rifle.
Man you are really going far with such a trivial piece of the show huh? All on an "I think" comment from me, aka speculation based on what is known

Ill reply one more time to humor you and leave it at that, cuz in the grand scheme of things Iok is only in the show to progress some plot points through his mishaps, and serve as comedic relief of sorts, and his MS/skills are minor things tied to that

At the end of the day, your argument and my speculation is pointless, because ALL the shots he made are in the Reginlaze, so its literally impossible to tell whether its the man or machine producing the results (or whichever one is the bigger factor in achieving said results)

As someone who handles firearms myself, I would normally say the person is the biggest factor behind landing a shot, but all that stuff is thrown out the door when it comes to a MS. You dont have to deal with breathing and marksmanship fundamentals, and you are in a machine that you can precisely control with the help of aiming systems/computers, at that point the balance evens out more
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote