Thread: Crunchyroll Nichijou
View Single Post
Old 2011-04-10, 05:34   Link #306
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I can appreciate where you're coming from, though I still think it's kind of strange to bash the direction alone that way. I can agree the music is kind of misplaced at times, but transitioning 4koma to anime is always difficult. It was apparently very difficult even for something like Azumanga and Lucky Star and it remains so.
Ah, the problem is Nichijou isn't 4-koma manga. Even though all the chapters are ridiculously short, it does have more connection than average 4-koma mangas. It is more like Ika-musume. Kyoani's disconnecting it... a bit too much.

Azumanga daioh was ok with slow pacing since its comedy was already slow in original manga anyway (osaka = epitome of slow-comedy). If I were to say one of the most decent adaptation of 4-koma, is Seitokai Yakuin-domo, where pacing is ridiculously fast with dynamic direction; you don't even realise which humour was hit or miss. (haven't seen lucky star orz...) Just reminder that 'random' comedy and 'slow' comedy are not necessarily the same thing.

Quote:
I agree the awkwardness is there with extended scenes, but I don't really know how they can properly do such scenes at a reasonable pace otherwise. There's a lot of 'awkward silence' moments in the manga and for what it's worth I think they did a fine job transitioning it to anime.
As I stated above with Seitokai Yakuin-domo, there IS ways to do that.

Those awkward silence moment only works when event that comes prior or posterior is relevant enough to support that lengthened sequence. If it isn't, it should be skipped much faster.

Quote:
As for Shaft, I do think they have a keen sense for comedy for sure. Not sure if that means they're masterful at direction that way since they manage to piss off tons of manga purists while they do so. As far as conversions from manga goes, it is hit and miss with Shaft as I see it regarding direction. But when they put that laser focus on comedy, they're great at it.
That's direction. Example of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, their unique vector sequences or pacing removes the moment of awkwardness after one shock of humour. That's how it makes impact of humour better, for me. It is something only Shaft can achieve, due to their 'intentional' budget cutting technique.

However, some directions in Sore-machi was simply awful, though.