Old 2012-10-04, 22:08   Link #997
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Last I checked, the people don't decide:

1) Who runs
2) Who each party chooses as its representative
3) Who gets to vote at the national conventions for who gets to be the representative

The most they can do in the process is vote in the straw polls, which can mean nothing due to fraud (happened in at least two instances during this election year if I recall) or mean nothing due to who the 1% is willing to pour money into.

Like it or not, you need money for elections. A lot of money. And there's no way anyone can compete against the 1% without being the 1%, in which case it's not "the people" who are deciding things anyway!
Yeah, it isn't so simple as just saying the voters are at fault. Like GDB said, the people who run for president these days (who make it to the conventions) are the ones that get good financial backing.

I mean, for instance, we have Mitt going against Obama. I'd rather have someone like Jon Huntsman trying to become president, but the rich folks who back the GOP don't want him, they want Mitt because he will carry out their GOP agenda better than Jon Huntsman could. When we have people running for president, it isn't even a matter of who is the best for the candidate position anymore, it is about who has the money. For republican candidates, the one that makes it the farthest is the one the very wealthy will support.