View Single Post
Old 2013-08-16, 14:41   Link #225
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
That's due to practical reasons. When you shrink the human body down to sprite size, details get lost. To exaggerate features like thighs and boobs when you shrink them down is actually a valid excuse.
I hadn't really noticed this back in the sprite-graphics days (perhaps you just accepted that ingame rendering couldn't match the artwork, and let your imagination fill in the blanks or something); thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Quote:
And to add a third indirect example, WoW have giant shoulder armour for player characters, Because it is the part of the body most visible to the player from the gaming POV and as such was essential to differentiate different armour types.
Odd... I just checked out a few screenshots; seems to me the camera shows enough of the player from behind that it's easy to make out armour types without having to exaggerate parts of it. But that's probably just my perception of things.

And speaking of exaggerations, I figured I'd share this opinion piece...

Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote