View Single Post
Old 2004-02-27, 05:07   Link #63
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
Quote:
Originally Posted by spav
There's a place for both, but ultimately it again comes to the choice of the group. I had a good time in A-E's new channel last night, even talked about the episode I was downloading. And yeah 1 AM EST I was swearing and cursing cause I couldn't figure my client out (X-Chat), but we made up and it's all good now. Even got a little help from some nice folks in there. I think it was a good idea to release that way to promote the channel. Like a get to know your fansubber night.
Coming from the other side of that equation (being "your fansubber") it's nice when people come in and start chatting. Not because of the ever growing number in the channel window's titlebar (which I could really care less about), but because you get to meet and talk to a new person. Sometimes they're interesting people with interesting ideas. Other times they're boring people who just want to watch anime. But it's always great when I get chatting with someone. Just like someone was mentioning in a discussion about op/eds and karaoke and all that stuff that there's an element of "giving credit to the people who made it" there's also kind of a feeling of possibly getting to know the people who brought it to you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Not everyone does that, but yeah, some people sit around waiting for the new releases and download them as fast as possible. It seems some times that 90% of the Naruto forum is like that.
no kidding .... I have wandered into naruto forums here and on gotwoot, and (pardon my l33t) I ph34r them both. People do the same thing on slashdot, sitting there refreshing for new stories every couple minutes. Even scarier is my experience from back when I was running aone distro (those were good days that I'll always remember fondly). 10 minutes after a naruto release, my xdcc's would be at like 180/180 sends and pushing 6 megs/sec, and my bt seeds would be pushing another 4 megs/sec to god alone knows how many people... then the university told me that I couldn't claim 10 megs/sec of the campus link (especially from computers that I only had access to because of bad account maintenance policies), and ... well ... that was the end of that. But still ... it's like, people must be checking back every 15 minutes or something to see if there's a new release. It's crazy! Before bt came into use as a core distro tool (even earlier in my distro leadership tenure) I remember my xdcc bots getting raped 2 or 3 days after popular releases. We'd release other stuff two hours before naruto just because we knew otherwise we wouldn't be able to release it until a day and a half later.

*sigh*

sometimes I miss the old days ... bt has really made a lot of the whole distro thing a lot more cold and impersonal. And a lot more impatient. No more "oh, it's 3 days after the release, I guess I stand a chance of finding it now" ... it's all about more faster now now now immediate service. I guess that's where everything's headed now though, with video on demand and pvr's and more people leaning more heavily on microwaves and fast food. I wonder why we as a society have lost our ability to appreciate waits, and to learn to take breaks from our constant flashing audiovisual stimuli to catch up with nonflashing varieties of the same, like friends and family... or using compile times as an excuse to go out and get coffee or take a walk.

bleh, there I go sidetracking again. I think I'll stop before I hit some post length limit or just bore everyone :-p. (dang kids and your mtv and your skateboards and your long hair and your music)
complich8 is offline   Reply With Quote