View Single Post
Old 2009-11-12, 23:34   Link #9
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

I think Kuroko is most interesting when she isn't super-over-exagerated obsessively jealous about Misaka. Whenever she's most 'funny' in the anime, she's the most boring and stale, or at least cliche and not amusing. Like McMilk's user image at the moment: not amusing at all, in the same way that anime fanservice is hardly erotic.

On the other hand, subtle jealousy/obsession is more amusing in its own right, and highlights Kuroko's immaturity; like when Touma learns that she sleeps in Misaka's bed in secret. Her overall, non-exagerated, jealousy is an interesting character diminsion, especially in regards to her age as Misaka's junior (when Misaka herself is still pretty young and not developed).

I wouldn't have much good to say about Kuroko in general (her never having a great point in Index anime), except that I read the chapter of Railgun where she's forced to fight another esper, and has a hard time of it. I saw some things I respected in that: dedication, responsibility, thoughtfulness, and selflessness. Many of the same things, ironically, that Misaka admires in Touma.

Kuroko is young, and immature. Probably too immature to really appreciate what Misaka means to her in anything but a childish way. And it's that part of her that's the most repulsive. But if, when, she matures and grows up mentally, she'll be a fine psychic, and might stand an honest chance in her own right.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote