View Single Post
Old 2010-09-03, 07:18   Link #15
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
I respect you Meo, and I respect your opinions.

I hear what you're saying. The director is definitely trying to make a point and I think you expressed it very well.

But I think his final point was puerile, or inspiringly naive, if you prefer.

I was impressed when Takizawa pooled all the NEET's input and used it to solve the problem of the incoming cruise missiles.

I was impressed when Takizawa mustered the NEETs to evacuate the target area and save all those lives.

These were real demonstrations of not only the potential of these written-off people, but of actually harnessing them for useful ends by applying some creativity and faith (and coercion and lots of money).

But his final solution was essentially:
  • giving a 7 million dollar national pep talk - "C'mon everybody, let's all just try to be a little nicer to each other." In America, this is known as "Yes, we can!" It's not working.
  • encouraging the NEETs to sell their used video games to each other
  • an economic stimulus package of 1 yen to everybody in the country. Japan has been trying this for decades on a much larger scale with little result.
He was trying to create awareness of the problem. Well, everybody seems to know there's a problem. What's needed is some real solutions.

There is no simple magic bullet that one man can pull out of a hat. But a basket of real actions, no matter how large the basket need be, is infinitely more effective than a collection of good vibes.

Things are changing in places the naked eye cannot see. Imperceptible change sounds a lot like no change. What would be your approach to a patient who was improving in ways that couldn't be detected?

Symbolic challenges are indeed how miracles are worked by great leaders, but they're few and far between. And they're always accompanied by strong concrete actions that are enabled by the spread of the new inspirational mind-set articulated by the leader. And they usually end up creating a new range of problems.

What he's trying to do is create grass-roots support for a concept, an attitude, an outlook. Which is hard-core political work requiring the dedication and hard work of vast amounts of people over a long period of time. A whole lot of talking.

Once he's done what he needs to do, he may have an old lady waiting for him.

P.S. Maybe the bottom line is that the director got to make HIS "phone call to the whole country".

Last edited by drobertbaker; 2010-09-03 at 18:24.
drobertbaker is offline   Reply With Quote