View Single Post
Old 2012-04-24, 07:29   Link #429
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I finally got around to watching the third episode of this.

Well, that was certainly a rush, in more ways than one!

The energy of this series is great, as it was in the original Saki. It makes time seem to fly while you're watching it.

And the cameo appearances were fantastic, with one caveat that I'll get to in a bit.

But it does leave me curious... why switch to another school's perspective if you're going to go straight to the nationals after just three episodes? I'm sure I'm not the only one here who feels a much tighter connection to Team Kiyosumi than I do to this new team. Nothing wrong with this new team, of course, but I've only known them for... three episodes. I grew very attached to Saki/Nodoka's team over a full two cour anime.

And that brings up my caveat... are we now supposed to cheer against Saki and Nodoka? Saki was presented as an absolutely menacing villain here (the irony of that being pretty mind-blowing ). Seriously, if you never watched the original Saki before watching this spin-off, you'd think that Saki was the Darth Vader of this show, lol.

I mean, if the whole idea was to get to the nationals right away, why not just do a straight-up sequel? That would have been simpler and more pleasing to Saki fans, wouldn't it? All this for three episodes worth of content that I'm sure could have been decently handled flashback style (just like how competing schools were handled in the original Saki anime).

All I can conclude is that the makers of this show want to turn Team Saki/Nodoka from main protagonists into main antagonists, and bring in a bunch of new protagonists. As someone who really liked Team Saki/Nodoka, I'm not exactly cool with that.

But I guess this is very amusing to me in one way. I once compared Saki Miyanaga to Hulk Hogan, due to their highly similar "consistent magical comebacks from seemingly getting destroyed" styles. Well, I guess Saki has something else in common with the Hulkster now... she's also apparently going Hollywood with her new World order-style villainy...

All-told, a very fun watch, but one that's left me scratching my head a bit.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-04-24 at 07:40.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote