View Single Post
Old 2013-09-06, 03:49   Link #2179
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
I wonder though, was there any clear reason why Yamakan got sacked in LS?

Some say he was just relieved from handling LS but not fired from KyoAni and that he left on his own accord. How true that story is, is beyond me...
I doubt that the full story will ever come out because Yamakan doesn't seem like he'd present a balanced view, and Kyoto Animation doesn't seem like the kind of company where they want to air their dirty laundry. But my guess, based on his actions and attitude that followed, was that it may have been a bit of a "the nail that sticks up gets hammered down" sort of thing. He just doesn't strike me as the sort of person who's good at following orders from management, and Kyoto Animation doesn't seem like the sort of place where there's really room for glory hounds. It wouldn't surprise me if he got into some argument with an important producer/sponsor and it caused a political backlash (the way the demotion was handled seems very much like a "you pissed off the wrong person" sort of thing). Demoting him from the director position is pretty much tantamount to firing him, but without outright doing so -- or I guess it's maybe like sending someone back to the little leagues when they think they've got what it takes to be a star. In the end, it was probably just better for him to go off and do his own thing; no better teacher than harsh reality.

Of course, again, I say all this just basing it on what we can see of what happened, and his attitude in the interviews and conversations that followed. It seems to fit, but who knows what really happened.