View Single Post
Old 2013-02-28, 15:51   Link #46
Folenfant
Banned

I was around for the 80s mecha boom which I consider to be the era of traditional mecha series and I fail to understand how VVO is in any way representative of that era. Show me the number of sci-fi mecha shows from the 80s that are about little girls with huge asses going on trips to the beach and making friends. Now show me the number of shows that are like Evangelion with its monster of the week layout or Code Geass with its factional warfare, disposable mecha, political/military backdrops and character drama. Now switch to the 2000s and do another comparison.

Too me VVR is highly representative of what mecha has become. Less about the mecha (there really aren't many) less about the intrigue and more about dressing up little girl moe archetypes in skintight suits to fight some non-descript foe with no real development like what you could see in any show mecha as a factor or no. There have been more shows like this than actual shows about factional warfare and the harsh struggles of the cast, although valvrave and galgantia which are upcoming mecha shows both look like a return to tradition at first glance.
Folenfant is offline   Reply With Quote