View Single Post
Old 2012-08-06, 00:07   Link #10
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Honestly, I'm still not really sure if there's much point in rating an episode. Do you take a book and rate every chapter? Sure, anime airs weekly, but most episodes are not designed to stand on their own, but to connect to the rest of the series. So any rating you do in your head should really be in the context of everything that came before. So personally what I think is more relevant is "What is your overall opinion about this show so far?" and "How did this episode influence your overall opinion (if at all)?" Of course, that's impossible to capture in a single poll.

That perhaps aside, if I could do whatever I wanted with the ratings, I guess I'd probably do something more like:

+2 - Enjoyed Greatly
+1 - Enjoyed Somewhat
0 - Neutral/Mixed Feelings
-1 - Disliked Somewhat
-2 - Disliked Greatly

(You could have more tiers if you want, like "+3 - Among the most enjoyable", and "-3 - Among the least enjoyable".)

I think the "out of 10" scale has too much baggage. A +/- scale is easier to get everyone literally "centred" on the decision they have to make. And I'd rather talk about "enjoyment" than "critique", because there is no standard for critiquing on a forum like this (some people are "critiquing" and some are just going to go with their gut/feelings anyway). At least if we talk about "enjoyment" it's pretty easy for everyone to quantify, though everyone will have their reasons why (and that's what can be discussed in the thread). If people still want to provide some sort of other rating, they could still do so in their post and define what that means.

Anyway, I'm saying all that mostly to throw something out there. I realize it's a complete departure from what we've done before, so I'm not pushing for it by any means. But just one idea out of many possible. As it stands, I don't usually vote on Episode threads because I think it's both a bit too arbitrary and a bit too narrow a focus.