View Single Post
Old 2010-09-24, 12:53   Link #44
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Briefly on this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
they told Ursula le guin that Miyazaki himself will direct Earthsea. Which was why she gave the ok for it, then they turn around and handed it to Miyazaki's son.

to me that stinks.
Apparently, they didn't (say that Miyazaki snr himself would direct). He'd asked several times before and was refused - by the time Le Guin herself encountered (and loved) Totoro and approached Miyazaki, he'd lost his initial interest. That's not to say that he shouldn't have been more deeply involved in the production, but I'm sure there's many layers in this that we don't fully grasp.

@orion
I think I'd hate that (releasing straight to BD/DVD - though admittedly, I'm not in the US), because it really was quite magical seeing the Borrower Arrietty on the big screen, and I'd hope fans all around the world will have the chance to do the same for future Ghibli films.

@FlavorOfLife
The Borrower Arrietty seems to be enjoying a good reception in Japan, so it doesn't seem like the Ghibli's going to downsize anytime soon. A couple of films are apparently in development, and Miyazaki himself is contracted for two more.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote