Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Free!
View Single Post
Old 2013-07-20, 03:46   Link #869
Blonto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Your typical male lead in an anime show has romantic interest (in a specific girl, or girls in general) as a core motivation. Lots of well-worn tropes arise from that, meaning that a lot of scenes practically write themselves.
I'm really not sure where you're getting that? Shounen and sports anime from my albeit limited experience tend to have getting better and competitiveness as core motivation. Romance is thrown in more as an afterthought. Occasionally it will be used to motivate the guy to protect someone, however this same motivation tends to be done using friends and family.

Harems aren't much different either. Take the typical harem lead. He's practically castrated and incredibly passive because giving him a romantic motivation would ruin the harem (since harems strive due to indecisiveness).

Quote:
What characters can you use as references for him?
Only every Kyoani lead ever? Passive stoic with a hint of eccentricity is a trope they're very fond of.

Quote:
Well, girls in all-girl shows often have driving motivations that have nothing to do with romance. Consider the girls of Love Live!, or Girls und Panzer, or many a magical girls show. They tend to have passionate goals that they work towards in a certain fashion. I see a little bit of that in Haruka, and his passion for swimming.
This is a fairly recent change. The rise of all-girls show happened due to the fact that the authors realized horny otaku and yuri fanboys would rather watch an all-girls show, than the same show with boys. Strong motivations used to be a guy thing (especially in shounen and sports anime), but now guys are relegated merely to passive, empty self-inserts.
Blonto is offline   Reply With Quote