View Single Post
Old 2009-01-22, 06:40   Link #39
nojay
Scanlator

This is a general point, not specific to episode 16 but it addresses some comments I've seen in this thread.

Translating written works to drama, whether live action or animation is not an easy process. There are time constraints involved -- people I know who write screenplays for a living say that a page of text in a book on average equates to a minute of screen time, and I've read the same thing elsewhere. The makers of Toradora! have 24 episodes each with 20 minutes of story-time to fill -- that's 480 selected pages of text excerpted and modified to build into a consistent engaging story on screen. Something has to be cut at every step to make the anime work, and since different people like different bits of the novel storylines some of them are going to be disappointed as their favourites get the chop.

I've not read the light novels but the Wikipedia summary lists a bunch of characters who have not made the cut into the anime (Sumire's sister, for example). Sub-plots have been minimised (the homeroom teacher's love life) and details removed where they don't advance the story (Kitamura's motorcycle, the Sumire family's fear of snakes). These cuts are necessary to make space for the stuff that matters. That's just how it is, folks.