Thread: Licensed Kokoro Connect [anime]
View Single Post
Old 2012-09-08, 15:05   Link #1842
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Hmmm. For me, that was easily the weakest ep since episode 4. Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. It's remarkable that an episode can come off as overdramatic and anti-climactic at the same time, but that was how it played for me.

I was expecting more out of the conclusion to this arc, really. I never bought Nagase and Inaba's confrontation, which felt manufactured. And I think all three characters are ill-served by reducing the arc to the two girls doing battle over Taichi, whose own feelings are irrelevant. He's always been more of a plot-driver than a fully-realized character anyway, but that's never been quite so literal as it was made to be by the way this arc concluded.
I agree wholeheartedly with you there. When Himeko started the already usual self-aware dialog during the conversation with Iori I was thrown out of the experience for the first time since the show started. There's just no way a teenager could have that much insight on herself and be able to so coherently convey it like the show did. And then the drama dial was turned to 11 and it just got ridiculous.

To top it all off we have that punch in the stomach joke that was a bit over the top imho. I was actually expecting her to slap him on the cheek before bursting into tears but they proceeded to overblown everything with the aforementioned punch and one of the most overblown crying scenes I've seen in a while.

On the plus side the talk between her and Taichi about that large fall at the beginning was pretty cute with how Himeko blushed at the end. Also the final confession scene was pretty nicely handled imho since it was very much in character for her to do it that way.