Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2013-05-14, 04:53   Link #28203
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
I can understand the Middle East, Koreas etc but why do so many SE Asian countries practice conscription/service? National character? In case of a fight?
I would have thought the answer is obvious. It's for national security reasons. You can't claim sovereign rights over land you cannot feasibly defend.

Off the top of my head, the countries and territories in East Asia that practice conscription are Singapore, Taiwan and South Korea. These places face the real and present danger of bigger, more powerful neighbours who may or may not turn hostile for whatever reason. Hence, the need for conscription to bolster the professional soldiers who form the core of their armed forces.

There are probably a few more examples of conscription in East Asia that I don't know about. For example, if I recall correctly, Thailand's men are also required to perform national service but, in their case, they serve as monks, not soldiers.

If, on the other hand, you're asking for specific historical reasons, I can answer only for Singapore. It comes from a crucial part of our national narrative: We don't want a repeat of our World War II experience, when we caught defenceless by a determined enemy. We can't and don't expect allies to come to our aid if we are invaded. If help arrives, so much the better. But we had better be able to defend ourselves well before that.

The experience of Kuwait, when it was suddenly invaded and annexed by Iraq some 20 years ago, is instructive.

Hence, the need for a citizen army in Singapore. A small corp of professional soldiers alone will not be sufficient for our national defence needs.