View Single Post
Old 2008-11-16, 00:27   Link #811
Byakou

Japan has some interesting customs, but it's a bit uptight @__@

Where I live we have "monsieur, madame" but it's not really for politeness, you use it when you don't know the person's name. Most teachers want us to call them by their first name and those who don't want: students usually call them by their first name anyway, or monsieur/madame if you're an obedient student. Superior/inferior is non-existant most of the time. Even if someone has more professional skills than you, and older, there's like an unwritten rule when you talk that you're equal as human beings, regardless. There's no gender roles. It isn't perfect, but we have some liberty. There's almost no sexism left, the only thing I can think of is in language if you have several objects, and refer to them, you get male plural.

I really like the japanese language though. I like how it's structured, and how it sounds.

I wonder... What would happen if a foreigner went to Japan, and ignored the annoying parts of the etiquette? No bows. Female using male-only words. Saying you want the tea, not the coffee. Calling the superior ppl -sans just like everyone else. Accepting things and counting no debt. And saying what you think (not offensive or anything, just normally). I bet ppl would make evil glares to you all day o.o
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote