Thread: Crunchyroll Arata Kangatari
View Single Post
Old 2013-05-13, 15:15   Link #120
Irenesharda

I can sufficiently say that episode 6 was my favorite episode of the series thus far. The Shinsho battle was great and it may herald some more great moments to come. I don't know why, but the drama with Ohika and his wife was more tragic in the manga than in the episode, but it was still good.

However, be that as it may, it does seem like they are switching things up a bit. They appear to be mixing Kannagi and Akachi's arcs together, I'm guessing for time purposes. They appear to be showing you their backstory ahead of time, even though in the manga you don't find out about them once being best friends until quite a while later. I don't know if I like that so much since the backstory is one of the best things about Akachi's arc and what makes it hit so hard emotionally.

Both Aratas are seen this episode and both of them are done well. The re-did the present day stuff a bit, but it's fine as is.

Yes, this was a good episode, and I would give it an 9/10, if not for one thing:

Why did they have to write Seo out of this adaptation?!!!!! He's one of my favorite characters in the story and he has a very important purpose! Why do they leave him out? It can't be for time reasons since even in the manga he appears when Arata needs him and disappers just as fast. And now this creates a plothole in the story. If Arata's grandma and Kotoha always knew the sword's name they would have told him earlier in the beginning, since knowing the sword's name gives you more power and will help to fully awaken the hayagami.
It worked that Seo was the one who advised Arata on how to go about the submission battle and gave him the name of the sword, since he wasn't a character always with Arata and so he never told him until that moment. Also Seo is one of those all-knowledgeable characters that can both teach and inform the MC.
Was this just to give Kotoha more to do? Because I'm sorry, that girl will always be as 2D and flat as paper. It was just the way she was designed.

So because of that very annoying point, I had to deduct. So I give episode 6 an 8/10.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote