View Single Post
Old 2013-02-09, 16:03   Link #6752
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
This happens sometimes, when some people complain that they hate BL fanservice, someone else is bound to say that "if the BL service is replaced by yuri service then none of you would've complained, what double standard." or different variations of it, indicating people to stfu. I often see "double standard" being used more in this manner than the example you gave above.
It depends on what the complaint is over. Are people complaining about the fanservice? If so, it's a double standard: people (most likely the male audience) dislike boys-love fanservice and may loudly decry it, but enjoy yuri fanservice and wouldn't speak out against it. It's a double-standard because we're talking about fanservice, but the genders involved are getting different treatment.

What gets tricky is in how you group things. The way I've grouped it above is to talk about fanservice in general, but what's arguably being discussed is sexual attraction. As a heterosexual male, if I profess attraction for women and repulsion for men, have I set a double standard? One could argue that I have, but it seems a bit ridiculous: men and women are very different when it comes to attraction.

So getting back to your example, if people claim that they hate all fanservice in anime, but only complain when they see boys-love fanservice and not when yuri comes up, it is a double standard: they have made a judgement on all fanservice, but are not treating all fanservice equally. On the other hand, if they say that they hate boys-love fanservice but don't talk about yuri, I'm not so sure that the accusation of a double standard would be appropriate.