View Single Post
Old 2013-03-10, 03:20   Link #55
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
(I'm bumping this thread due to AS' pro-necro policy and due to some observations I've made with Psycho-Pass almost finished).

With only two episodes left to go in Psycho-Pass, I'm struck by the lack of major character death in the show. Kagari is the most important character in the show to die so far. The rest were all "mid-boss" antagonists, random one-shot victims, and one of Akane's friends. To be sure, there's been a lot of death and violence in Psycho-Pass, but I'm honestly surprised that here we are, going into the final two episodes of the show, and none of the five most important characters (Akane, Kougami, Makishima, Tomomi, Gino) have died yet. I'll be shocked if the finale doesn't see at least one or two of them die, but even so, it's pretty amazing they all lasted this long.

So this raises the question - Is Gen's reputation for loving to brutalize and kill off characters deserved?

Certainly he puts them through a lot of trials and turmoils, but I don't get the impression that Gen kills off characters just for sheer shock and awe.

"What about Madoka Magica Episode 3?" somebody asks.

Yes, what about it?

As much as I like Mami Tomoe, the rest of the Madoka Magica narrative arguably does not work if she lives through the Charlotte battle. That's for the following reasons.

1) With Mami there, Sayaka vs. Kyouko changes completely. For one thing, it might not even happen. If it does happen, Mami likely forces Kyouko to retreat. Kyouko's tough, but she wouldn't take both Mami and Sayaka in an one-on-two fight. And that means...

2) The Soul Gem reveal never happens. And that means...

Well, by now, I'm sure you see how keeping Mami alive would force Gen to completely rework his narrative. And remember that for his narrative to work, certain key reveals need to be made to Madoka in time for her to resolve the major conflicts of the narrative (but also while staving off her choosing to become a Puella Magi).

If Sayaka joins Mami, and the two work well as Puella Magi together, what stops Madoka from joining in? Mami's death lends some credibility to Homura's warnings which in turn makes it more believable for Madoka to refrain from becoming a Puella Magi.

So it's clear how Mami's death is very helpful to the the PMMM narrative as a whole. And the falls of Sayaka and Kyouko are also very helpful for setting the stage for Madoka's big decisions.

Deaths in Gen's works aren't like deaths in Another or Blood+. They're purposeful, they serve important roles in the story, they're not solely for shock and awe. And I think that's part of what makes Gen an effective writer. He is willing to kill characters, but only if it serves the bigger picture of the narrative as a whole. He doesn't kill characters just for the sake of killing characters.

What do other people here think?