View Single Post
Old 2013-02-28, 16:20   Link #48
Folenfant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I'm not really an expert on this market, so maybe I'm not using the right terms or making the right distinction. But, in my mind at least, there's a distinction between kids who are just buying what we'd call "toys", and then the more serious model kits that require assembly and painting that may be aimed at a bit of an older audience. This sort of "hobby store" market is what I perceive as having shrunk a bit over the last decade or so (though of course it still exists). I always assumed that mecha anime, even in prime time slots, was attempting to appeal to both sets of audiences with merchandise.

That aside, I do agree with your point about demographics. I think it would be interesting to do an analysis of the sorts of shows targeted at each demographic and/or airing in each of the major time block categories to get a better sense of how trends have really changed.
Yes this is a good distinction. As a model kit builder myself I've never liked having my hobby referred to as toys or the shows they're based on as toy commercials. It sells both short but strictly speaking about models, if you play with them like toys you're asking for trouble.

There's a lot too building models including cutting pieces accurately, following instructions, piecing them together, affixing decals which requires a lot of precision and painting. It can also be a costly investment too with high grades (usually 1/140 scale) averaging 15-20 USD too Perfect Grades (usually 1/60) scale which are extremely detailed top quality kits which run 200-300 USD before paints are factored in. Its possible newer generations just aren't willing to spend that kind of time an money and enter that kind of hobby. Plus if the designs and shows themselves aren't popular like with AGE the kits usually aren't that popular either since the kits that sell are the ones that have the popular lore and design to go with them.
Folenfant is offline   Reply With Quote