View Single Post
Old 2012-08-09, 21:32   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilver View Post
Claymore - Probably the biggest "girl fights monster" themed show in recent years.
This. This. A thousand times this.

Next I'll suggest Blood+, a show loosely based on Blood, The Last Vampire, which you've seen. Saya appears again, but the story is much more complex. The chiropterans and their masters are still the enemy, though. I thought the series was more interesting than the movie, but I had some issues with the screenplay. It certainly fits your request, though. You can watch it at Hulu, but only with English dubs. There's a two box set of all fifty episodes on DVD, but it's very hard to find. Amazon has only third-party sellers for the first box with stratospheric prices; the second box is $90.

If you'd like a moe-themed series I recommend Sky Girls; make sure you watch the DVD Specials as well. It's none too serious, though, unlike Claymore. The tracker on the AS series page for Sky Girls is dead; use Google.

Yakushiji Ryoko
is the Head of the Supernatural Division of the Tokyo Police. She and her male subordinate fight monsters together in most every episode. It's actually not a bad show when it transcends the "monster-of-the-week" format.

Chizuku, the "Daughter of Twenty Faces," fights augmented humans who might as well be monsters.

Balsa squares off against a monster in Seirei no Moribito, but that's almost incidental to the rest of the story.

Finally, I'm a bit surprised no one suggested Puella Magi Madoka Magica. The opponents are witches not monsters, and incredibly stylized witches at that. Nevertheless it would be my next suggestion after Claymore.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-08-09 at 22:31.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote