View Single Post
Old 2009-01-27, 09:37   Link #13
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Carrying over a discussion from an earlier thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
Some commercial pointers to think about.

1. How profitable is Haruhi [or more specifically, Tanigawa's works] compared to the Key-Kyoani relationship?
2. What is the total audience that Tanigawa-Haruhi and Key will reach respectively?
3. Does the partnership constantly provide more milking opportunities?
4. How long will the partnership be able to last?
5. Does Kyoani feel that it is able to create a success every time with the partnership?

Think about it, and respond.
Hmm, you made me think all right.

Let's see.

1. Of course Key has been more profitable overall, but that's simply because it has had 3 anime releases (4 if you count Clannad and Clannad After Story as separate). Haruhi has had merely 1 anime release, but that one has become a massive phenomenon in the anime fan's world. Just one season. So comparing it fairly to individual Key anime releases, it triumphs.

2. It depends. But mostly Haruhi fans have spread like fuel on a floor ever since the first season release. I say fuel because a second season release would be more than sufficient to "ignite" that fuel and sweep success from that huge audience. Key audiences are also large, especially in Japan, don't get me wrong. Key stories are famous for their sad "crying stories" and beautiful characters. I myself can't get enough Key anime series. but Haruhi is, as I said, a phenomenon. No doubt it has a bigger audience than each individual Key anime on average.

3. I have to say Key's visual novels have so much more story space for anime than the Haruhi novels. In that case, it is justified for more Key series to be released, thus more milking opportunities. However, the Haruhi novels have been delayed enough; there is much more than enough story material for a second season. Key can still be adopted, it's just prime time for more Haruhi!

4. I don't really know how to answer this because I don't have much knowledge on the terms of these company partnerships. Sorry. Can you please clarify this part for me?

5. I think I answered this question on #2. Both partnerships are almost guaranteed for success, but a second Haruhi season would probably bring about a bigger success.

If I said anything wrong, please correct me. And tell me your thoughts and facts on this matter, because I'd love to know.