Thread: Windows 8
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-03, 00:37   Link #29
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
2. Metro is fugly. Seriously, it is so damn ugly. It works okay (some guys at work have Windows Phone, and I've used it some there), but I really, really don't like the way it looks, especially the colors. It's like going back to a CGA display in the 80s.
Yes, Metro surely *is* butt-ugly. They even admit it on the final Windows 8 retail package:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
THAT is an utter failure of an OS, if true. Even if there's a management drone running to quietly move things in and out of RAM, its an expanding consumption of system resources.

"The memory leak is a FEATURE now..." o.O
It is true, and yes, it is an utter failure.
Run apps, close them (or better try to), then look at the Task Manager, and they're still there, running in the background. Some page reviewing it had screenshots showing it... but I can't remember right now which page it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Nothing really forces you to use the Metro UI, so complaining about it seems really silly.

My only real complaint with Windows 8, so far, is that they did next to nothing to enhance the 'normal' UI, which is essentially 95% similar to the Windows 7 UI.
Edit: Is there an accepted name for the non-Metro UI? It's cumbersome to call it the 'normal' UI or the Windows 7-like UI. :/
Yes, they spent all the work on that retarded and butt-ugly Metro UI and didn't touch the old UI.
Also, you can't call the old UI "Windows 7"-UI either, as there actually isn't a Windows 7. What was pompously marketed as "Windows 7" is nothing but a slightly polished Vista, therefore the actual version number of Windows "7" is 6.1 - which you can see for yourself if you open a command prompt and enter "ver".
So you should be speaking of the "Vista UI", which was only polished a little by making the taskbar transparent and removing the text from taskbar entries. Come on, transparent taskbar!!! All say "Oooooooh!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Sure, I'm not too keen on how dumbed down OSes have gotten over the years, where it takes more and more mouse clicks to get to the nuts and bolts
You mean, how dumbed down Windows has gotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
It replaces the start menu. If that isn't forcing me to use it, what is?
Forcing stuff on people without asking is simply the Microsoft way to do things. With pretty much every pre-built PC and laptop, you're forced to buy Windows with it. Because of this monopoly on the desktop, Microsoft thinks that it can do whatever it damn pleases.
If you don't like having stuff forced on you (like me), you'd better stop using Windows. There are good alternatives like Kubuntu and many other distros, which even do things much better than Windows, are quite a lot more and much easier customisable, and they let you decide.