Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Uchuu Kyoudai (Space Brothers)
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-16, 14:09   Link #470
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
So for me, the two charges leveled against him - inevitability and perfection - just don't hold up. Yes, we know he's going to be an astronaut - because he's the MC and that's the premise. Do we hold it against Gorou that's he's going to make the major leagues? Do we hold it against Inuyasha that he's eventually going to defeat Naraku?
I think you are missing my point. I don't hold it against Mutta that he will eventually become an astronaut as I already said. I understand Mutta fulfilling his dream is part of the story.

However because he is our protagonist the story sets him up to be better than the other candidates so he can ultimately succeed. That might not actually be the case, but when in the end the person who pretty much solved all of Team A's issues is Mutta then this is how it comes off to me. Yes I understand Mutta was able to do all that because of being in the right place at the right time, his own childhood experiences, etc but it was still pretty much all Mutta that drove Team A's success.

Hence why I said he comes off perfect at times, not that he is perfect (although maybe perfect was not the best word to use). It sounds to me like people keep defending Mutta of being a Mary Sue or a badly written character, neither of which I think.