View Single Post
Old 2011-06-04, 08:09   Link #41
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
Well, some of the exaggeration of some figure also doesn't help in knowing the true history of the period IMO. I mean, Zhuge Liang is definitely a very talented person, and arguably a genius, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't that dominating in the days and make the other figure fighting him looks inept like that.

Don't get me wrong, I like Zhuge Liang, and I still think he's arguably the most brilliant person in his era, but I'm pretty sure people like Zhou Yu, Lu Xun, or Sima Yi wasn't as bad as he was portrayed in the fictional novel of Luo Guanzhong that they basically get owned by Zhuge Liang over and over again.

If they deified Zhuge Liang like that, who knows who else were actually a talented general during the era and end up getting a bad name in the process of deifying people like Zhuge Liang.
It depend what you are reading, if you're basing your knowledge on Romance of Three Kingdom, then you'll get a lot of wrong info. It's a novel that was pegged 70% facts, 30% fiction. You need to read the actually historical records and detect what you believe as the truth.

Zhou Yu was completely villainfied in Romance, while Lu Xun was more of himself since he and Zhuge never faced each other. Sima Yi was also pretty true to his historical self as most of his accomplishment comes after Zhuge's death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3ck View Post
Yes this manga is brilliant and the author is a genius.

He twist the story so much yet somehow manage to match the novel version in general picture.

One thing I like about his thinking is someone who manage to be famous after all the years is never an idiot (能名留青史的人,怎么可能是个笨蛋。)

Yes, he does a very good job in striking a balance between the novel (Romance of Three Kingdom) and the facts (The Record of Three Kingdom) while filling in with he imagination.

BTW, that was one of my favorite quote in the series. Along with " no leader who give command of his troop to an incapable person"