View Single Post
Old 2012-09-21, 17:10   Link #4911
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rereremo View Post
Finally the thread got active again, so I guess someone will answer me
I thought your question had been answered...?
Anyway, in FT Katrina is Relena's grandmother and Sabrina is her grandaunt. Or maybe it's the other way around... In any case, there's a Katrina in Relena's grandmother's generation. The series' novelization claims that Katrina was the name of Relena's mother though. So we have either a retcon or more Catherines.
The rest is right. As for writing "Quatrine" or "Katherine," it has nothing to do with Arabian spelling, seeing as "quatre" is not Arabian but French for "four," but with theme naming and keeping all the Catherines apart. In the English translation of Episode Zero Quatre's mother's name was given as "Quatrine." Correct me if I'm wrong but I think in FT it said that Quatre's younger sister was named after her. That and she's Quatre's clone, so it would make sense to spell her name as "Quatrine." Hope that answers your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendou Souji View Post
I don't get you. Either Gundam Wing is your only giant robot series or you hate giant robot series. Watch some super robot series. Cryogenic is common in robot series. Blue Gender had Cryogenic. Bebop had Cryogenic. Those were both on Adult Swim so it is easy to have exposure to them. G Gundam had the mobile trace system. UC shows had people piloting robots with their minds, freezing robots with their minds, building robots with their minds, souls trapped in boxes, clones etc. But you want to complain about virtual keyboards? Seriously? Something that sounds cool and allows a unique mobile doll piloting style is complained about? What is wrong with you people? It is basically the same thing Dorothy was doing but without using the Zero System. She was able to accurately control the dolls and give Heero and Duo Jr trouble. The Dolls did well. It worked and sounded cool. Macross has people singing to attack in their suits. Macross is built off of singing while dogfights happen. As far as names go we have Full Frontal and Quatro Bagina. The guys name is basically 4 vagina. Gundam is no stranger to craziness. Frozen Teardrop is pretty tame compared to what is out there in this genre.

Frozen Teardrop is in no way worse than Destiny at anything comparable.
I understand what you say. Yes, cryogenics are not uncommon in any series with advanced technology. Heck, even Dragonball had them. And I'm not surprised to see it in FT either. I guess I'm the wrong person to explain this, but many people feel it's a cheap plot device and that it doesn't belong to GW.
Personally, I don't mind that it happened but why it happened. And I don't mean the explanation in the novel itself but the author's decision. So far the only sound reason I can come up with why Sumizawa chose to freeze Relena and Heero, thus basically skip their development, was because he wanted to talk about everyone's kids (or sisters or random hobo look-alikes) without having to resolve Heero's and Relena's stories yet. Or rather, he wanted to save them for this new story with new characters. In theory that sounds fine.
But sadly, Sumizawa's insistence to have essentially the old Gundam team assembled again, substantiated by the presence of visual clones of the other pilots, is getting in the way, and as such, the idea comes off as cheap to me. If FT looked less like GW on Mars, I wouldn't even bother mentioning it. Alas, it doesn't and the "Relena, I'll kill you" plot isn't helping shake the notion of a rehash either.

As for the virtual piano playing, well, this is a simple matter of differing opinions. I'm sorry but I find it ridiculous. Both because it reminds me of card games on motorbikes (though I'm sure it could be made to look awesome if animated), and because it doesn't fit into GW. The "craziest" way we saw controlling a robot in GW were by Dorothy and Zechs, who had a battle system help them do it with their minds, since the system works by feeding data directly into the pilot's brain yadda yadda. The way it was explained made sense. And yes, there were no outlandish mind powers or songs or whatever involved.
But referring to other series, just because they're of the same genre, doesn't make much sense in this case, does it? Besides, their ideas aren't strange within their own shows. To take the examples you listed, UC may have had people controlling robots with their minds but the concept of Newtypes wasn't sprung on the audience in a sequel but existed from the start of the series. And G Gundam's mobile trace system made sense. What didn't make sense was a man defeating a giant robot with a scarf.
See, if it had been done like in Soul Eater, where listening to music helps a fighter focus, I would've been okay with it. But this poor excuse for incorporating more classical pieces is making me laugh because I don't see how actually playing a piece during a battle translates as controlling robots. I mean, what? Do Gundam pilots take music lessons now when they train?
I'm sorry, the way it's delivered is silly compared to everything that was used previously in GW. But again, I mean no offense, it's just my own opinion.

The same goes for the names. It doesn't matter if Char is called Quatro Bagina or Full Frontal; he's not in Wing. I'm pretty sure Sumizawa never had anything to do with him. What I'm judging FT by is its prequel and that is solely Gundam Wing. And when we go from names like "Deathscythe" and "Heavyarms" to "Snow White" and "Merciless Fairies" ...I believe it's legitimate to voice one's disapproval.

So yes, I concede, compared to other series out there, FT is pretty tame. But compared to Wing, it's full of goofy ideas.

I would also like to inquire what makes you dislike Destiny so immensely. Aside from killing its characters, I don't see how its story (aside from the last part) could warrant this much distaste. But seeing as this might not be the right place, perhaps a PM would be in order?

Lastly, I would like to apologize that my statement upset you. I realize now that my choice of words can be taken as deprecating toward people's preferences and that I'm out of line demeaning a novel without being asked for my opinion in the same thread provided to its fans to discuss it. I shall watch my words more carefully from now on. Sorry.
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote