View Single Post
Old 2007-09-30, 07:52   Link #10
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tun View Post
I don't know if I'm in the minority, but this was a huge step back IMO.
I don't know if I'm in the minority either, but I opt to disagree.

I'd rate especially the OP among KOTOKO's better pieces overall (and definitely among her best pieces in the last 1-2 years), and I give the ED some potential with me to develop.

The "degenerate" comment is pretty silly, sorry. You don't know more than any of us where this show is going to develop. If anything, nonsensical "tournaments", "quests", "contests" and whatnot are exactly what defined the manga in the first place. They always have. And I can say for sure that I prefer 2-episode arcs over the lightweight weeks where 1-2 trivial mini-episode fluff was crammed into them. If anything, I hope for the longer-running story arcs which should start soon.

There are no "godlike rivals". We get the school chairman and her butler as opponents/badguys, that's it. Most likely they will be relegated to the backseat for later use after ep28 again (that's typical for the Hayate no Gotoku manga aswell).

When it comes to parodies - after 26 episodes, there's a limit to where you can go. I recognized the obvious Utena one, and the quiz show, but there may have been 1-2 more which I have missed. Much more than 2 parodies per ep are not appreciated by me, at least.

What I liked were the little funny details (the puzzled Nagi actually managing a mini flame strike, for example, or the Klaus/Tama scene at the end)... and of course, the extensive Hinagiku exposure.

Interesting: The OP seemed to indicate that the darkened-out pigtailed guy from the OP might be Himegami after all... at least he's pitted against Hayate. With the Nagi-centric ED there's no reason to hope for an upset, but having him in there is a good sign for me.

So, what remains is more of the most typical parts of HnG, while I'm still waiting and rooting for the romantic parts.