View Single Post
Old 2007-10-12, 07:13   Link #116
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

I'm liking the music (lightyears better than the first series') and the pretty animation, but... I dunno, I can't see this one succeeding where the first series failed: making me care. I did manage to finish it, but it was mostly because it was the only new thing I had left to watch for a while.

I know that sounds harsh, but what I mean is that Shakugan no Shana, the more I think about it, feels like nothing more than a by-the-numbers magical girl story. Granted, Shana is much cooler than any rabbit ever was, but the elements of magic, action, weird villains (some of which are pretty cool, I'll admit), superfriends, and some school stuff thrown in is something I've already been through. All of this wouldn't be a problem if we had some interesting characters, but the only character that ever had more than one facet was Margery, who simply doesn't get enough screentime (drunken comic relief notwithstanding). Shana doesn't count because a tsundere must have two sides by definition. Also, the story is borderline incomprehensible, and the Power of Existence is almost on the same level as Minovsky Particles. But to me, characters are what make the story, so I'd still be willing to let that stuff slide.
I really enjoyed the first few episodes of the first season. That "You're dead. Have a nice day." bit was nice, and watching Yuuji desperately struggle to save Hirai was wonderfully bleak and depressing. In fact, I actually thought that this would be one of those shows where there'd be no-holds-barred on who lives and who doesn't. However, once the usual stride set it, I kept wishing the finish line would just meet me half way or something.

I want to like Shana. I really do. But before I can like it, it's going to have to do something which sets it apart. It isn't a bad show by any means, and I'd even recommend it to someone who was completely new to anime, but to impress someone who's been at this a while it's going to take something special. This first episode, with its first two-thirds being made of recycled material from the first season, certainly isn't off to the right start. I'll stick it out for a few more episodes, however, hoping that just maybe it'll manage to impress me.