View Single Post
Old 2011-06-21, 05:09   Link #85
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Then how do you explain how super happy she was that he tried to go back to school, that he awkwardly and clumsily saved her, that he started working with her? That was teenage Anaru responding very very positively to teenage Jintan. He wasn't cool, he wasn't the popular leader, he was stuttering and awkwardly clawing his way out of hikkikomori state -- and she was so, so happy at every little bit of it.

Loving an idea? Please. If that isn't a love for the person then I don't know what is. A person who's in love with an idea would have been annoyed at Jintan's imperfections in the earlier episodes. Instead, in the very first reflection she made, the one that set the tone of her character for the rest of the series, she outright stated that she was instead annoyed at herself for being unable to help him in any way -- him, the flawed, wounded, locked in, school-skipping, uncool, messy-haired, Menma-obsessed Jintan.
i'm pretty sure i said her love is "based" in her childhood, doesn't mean that jintan in his current form isn't going to affect her in anyway. she still loves him, of course she's going to be happy by any attention he gives her. i'm just suprised that people think jintan x anaru is endgame or something.

and please, when she was confessing her feelings to him she was bawling her eyes out and begging him to stop--that's clear frustration. anaru tried her best to help him but she couldn't break through, she shouldn't feel less than because she doesn't have as much an impact as menma.

it's heartbreaking that she has to constantly compare herself to a dead girl, a dead girl that jintan is currently in love with.

Quote:
He's in love with a dead girl. Half the time he thought she was his hallucination. He knows damn well he needs to let her go, he knows it more than anyone, yet his heart cannot lie. He loves her. He wants her by his side. And this is after years of being a shut-in suffering from her death which he blamed himself, and the death of his mother.

That shit fucks people up. How is he not confused? If he hangs himself to go after her or something nobody can even blame him!

And you want him to just give Anaru a real answer? I'm a fan of Jintan x Anaru, yet I would have been angry if he just half-heartedly said yes at any time between when she confessed and, well, "now."
jintan is not confused about his romantic feelings anymore--that's the point i'm getting at. he knows he loves menma & he wants her to stay. i highly doubt that anaru will join the running in any realistic way. if she does, then it has to be way, way into the future.

as for his potential answer, what makes you think it will be a "yes"? there's also the option of simply saying "hey, i can't answer you right now but give me some time". but no, he ceremoniously ignores her and THEN declares his feelings for menma.