Thread: Crunchyroll Cardfight!! Vanguard
View Single Post
Old 2011-06-20, 03:39   Link #359
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

After watching episode 23, I decided to pop my head out of my shell and say a bit about this show since hey it's been a while since I last had anything to say about it.

Thus far, the most enjoyable episodes had been episodes 19 and this one, with the tournament storyline being the best string of episodes so far. I think it had to do with us seeing more fights with less predictability and more tactics and generally better strategy, and finally seeing some characters (Kai) show us why exactly they are so good rather than simply tell us.

I sort of liked the slapstick here regarding Kamui being forced into marriage ^^; it was amusing enough in it's own way, and the fight itself was interesting to watch (plus tying the red string of faith around their pinkies just made me LOL hard. I love when this show pokes fun at moments when it takes itself most seriously)

Anyway, episode 23 had us go back to PSY, as any one who every played a card game on a handheld knows, that is just the course of action a story takes after beating a tournament .

So anyway, this episode we are introduced to the supposed to the final boss, Ren. Aside from looking like a women, the man is generally a douche, by avoiding every logical answer to the question Q4 had initially asked him, and being generally creepy and all evil looking.

The episode also cements that yes, there is supernatural elements to this anime. Apparently, children card games in Japan is synonymous with the dark arts, and Ultra Rare is apparently recruiting (?) people from all around with abilities to help with their ... mission, I guess?

Anyway, the fight was really fun this time around, even with the frankly unnecessary commentary. I liked how we actually had a bit of nun Coco around to lighten the mood, and the tactics used here, while fairly obvious, were presented much better than usual.

I hope we can get to the point with this show were we no longer need a commentary to help through every fight.

P.S. A question to Quarkboy, do you know if this show is already set to be year long? And a more general question, how is the card game doing so far, did they manage to get a decent holding in the market?

Next episode is another Misaki-centric episode