View Single Post
Old 2012-10-07, 00:49   Link #15
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Ignorance is indeed a bliss when our main goal is to enjoy or objectively analyze a show as a stand-alone thing. Just like you, I enjoy DEEN’s Fate/Stay Night anime the first time I saw it. Yes, it was a bad adaptation if the goal of the series is to re-tell all the elements of that Type-Moon VN. Still, if the anime’s goal is to simply tell a love story between Shiro and Saber with the battles of servants & rules of Holy Grail War as gimmicks, then it’s still a good series.
I just wanted to touch on this.

I think the goal of the adaptation is also a good point. A lot of times, fans of the original work always assume that the one and only valid and acceptable goal for an adaptation should be to accurately represent the original work. But a lot of the more financially successful adaptations (including both Fate/stay night and -- that which should not be named -- Tsukihime) were focused instead on telling their own story using the original material as the foundation (with varying degrees of fidelity in certain areas). Sometimes that actually makes for a better anime given what can be accomplished in the time/budget allotted (which the actual writers have no control over).

I guess it goes back to what I said before that sometimes people are disappointed because a story being adapted one way makes it much less likely that it'll be adapted in the way they want. So it's sort of like this "one chance for glory" thing. Hence why the disappointment is that much more pronounced from that group. It's understandable... but at the same time, it can be a bit lacking in perspective.