Thread: Xbox One
View Single Post
Old 2013-04-07, 14:27   Link #46
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Ehh?
If a studio wants their game only able to run, only if a connection is present, sony/ps4 won't stop them. My point is that, both consoles will end up being the same, for the western market.
Obviously most people will think, why develop for the xbox in the first place, if the ps4 is a better alternative for consumers. If MS can offer those publishers, no secondhand/resell of software on the consumer side, forwarding of personal information for marketing purpose and help with advertising, those simple moneyhatting offers, will be good enough reason for some to use the xbox as a main platform. Of course some titles will be make there way to the ps4 as well, but those studios will likely ask sony for similar features. They can either play ball or get sidelined, like what is happening to nintendo and to sega/dreamcast in the past. You can offer third parties open systems, but if you cannot offer them support as the competitor do, they will just leave.

Japan on the other hand is different, I don't think an always on console/games will be tolerated, as the secondhand market is huge over there, as far as in know. But then again is not like MS will be able to break into the japanese market anyways.
You are skipping the much bigger issue of adoption rate. A console developer's ability to bargain is based on how many people having it in their homes. It doesn't matter if a console blocks resale of games, if it doesn't have a big enough group of users.

Durango having less sales than PS4 = PS4 have more gamers to sell games to.

It is very easy to have no 2nd hand sales of a game, if no one is buying your game to begin with due to not willing to buy the console.